Saturday, July 21, 2012

Things to Know When Buying Circle Lenses

Okay. So I also wear regular (clear) contacts, and before I buy circle lenses, I always make sure I know all of my information and then some, because what you buy is definitely going to effect your eyes and how you feel about circle lenses!! Here's what you should look out for when buying circle lenses:

Prescription

Buying circle lenses that are the right prescription is soo important when buying lenses, because you really don't want to fuck up your eyes. Unless you're willing to shell out for Lasiks and other surgeries, I suggest babying your eyeballs as much as possible. I've maintained the same prescription for two years, so I'd like to think I take pretty good care of my eyes. Anyways! Look at the bolded words to find which paragraph applies to you~

If you don't wear contacts, you can buy plano lenses, which have no prescription. If it's your first time thinking about contacts in general, using circle lenses as a first choice >>might<< not be a good idea, because the first time with any kind of contacts hurts like hell. If you can't stop rubbing or messing with your eyes, you might rip your lenses and that's just a waste of money, man. It's hard enough putting little lenses in your eyes, imagine an even bigger disk being jammed in there. Ekk! But to remedy that, you can start with smaller circle lenses and work your way up, because obviously going to the store and buying regular colored contacts is not what you're aiming for. Otherwise, you would've done it. Right?!

If you wear glasses but not contacts, you have to go get your prescription from your eye doctor if you don't want to wear plano (no prescription) with your glasses over it. Sorry, there's really no way around that one because your glasses prescription is not the same as your contact lens prescription. But if you're far-sighted, there's not really a point to go and get your contact prescription, because there aren't any far-sighted powers for circle lenses. Just get plano. Although I've never tried, I'm pretty sure you can go to the eye doctor and get your power without buying contacts, if the exam is a separate fee. They might think you're doing something shady though, haha. I'm not sure if mentioning circle lenses still gives them heart attacks. Anyways, at that point you'll have your prescription; it's whatever they say, for example: -5.00 in your right eye and -4.75 in your left eye.

If you already wear contact lenses, I don't need to get into a lengthy discussion about your prescription, haha. Just make sure it's up-to-date, and it'll be on your contact boxes. Even on the little cases the individual contacts come in. Just make sure you know which one is for your left and which one is for your right. Again, make sure it's up-to-date: it'd be stupid to order lenses right before your yearly exam, because you have no idea if your prescription changed. It's the number that is a -#.## or a +#.## (If it's +, you'll need to get plano lenses).

Diameter

The diameter of the lens is obviously how big it will be. If you want exceptionally larger eyes, 15mm is your best bet. 14.5mm is pretty much the standard size, with 14.2mm being the smallest I've seen. However, some people have larger eyes than most, so you would have limited options when going for that enlarging effect. I, for example, have 14.5mm regular contact lenses, so I choose 15mm when I want circle lenses (therefore, most, if not all, of my lens reviews will be about 15mm lenses).

Last but not least, Water Content!!

This one is SO freaking important you guys! Water content pretty much describes how comfortable it's going to be. If it's low, your lenses will dry out fast and get itchy and scratchy. But if it's high, it's a lot easier to put in, you can wear it longer, and you won't tear up like every five seconds. My first pair of lenses, I didn't pay attention to the water content, and I had the worst experience ever!! They were Dizon Eyes Hazel contact lenses. They were actually painful to wear, because my eyes were burning constantly (although the color was pretty). The pair I have now is super comfortable and almost like regular contact lenses, so once I figure out which ones they are, I'll tell you about it:)

So yeah. That's about it for things to consider BEFORE you buy. After you do and your crap comes in the mail, soak your lenses in solution for at least six hours, or your eyes will burn off. Well, not literally, but it will hurt like a mother effer, according to my sister (I, on the other hand, ALWAYS follow the rules). Then, when you finally get to put those babies in, don't wear them for more than 6-8 hours. That goes with contact lenses in general. Your eyes need to breathe, too!

Anyways! I hope this helped you guys~ Have fun shopping:)

P.S: I like to look at HoneyColor.com and Candylens.com for my shopping needs. However, I've only bought from Candylens.com because they have more options, the site is a bit easier to navigate, and since my choices are sooo limited, it's just a lot more helpful for me. I think I'll buy from HoneyColor and Candylens at the same time and do a comparison for a post, the next time I decide to stock up.

No comments:

Post a Comment